1. How do I become credentialed as a play therapist?
There are currently two credentialing options to play therapists in BC: British ColumbiaRegistered Play Therapist (BCRPT) through the British Columbia Play Therapy Association (BCPTA) or Certified Play Therapist (CPT) through the Canadian Association for Child and Play Therapy (CACPT). Credentialing requires completing specific requirements for play therapy training, supervision and clinical experience. Information regarding credentialing can be obtained by contacting the BCPTA or CAPT:
Web Site: www.bcplaytherapy.ca
Web Site: www.cacpt.com
If you are a member of a college, (Social Worker or Psychologist) they you could also get certified though the Association for Play Therapy (United States) as a Registered Play Therapist (RPT). Their contact information is:
Web Site: www.a4pt.org
2. Where can I find a credentialed Play Therapy Supervisor?
Visit Find a Therapist to locate a supervisor by region.
You can also obtain the names of BC Registered Play Therapist Supervisors (BCRPT-S), Registered Play Therapy Supervisors (ROT-S) or Certified Play Therapist Supervisors (CPT-S) from their respective websites (see above links).
3. How do I find a play therapist for my child?
Visit Find a Therapist to locate a therapist by region.
4. What is the cancellation policy for BCPTA events.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected] no later than 2 weeks before the start of an event for a full refund less a $25.00 cancellation fee. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration within 2 weeks of the event.
- Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
- If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CERTIFICATION
1. Do I need a master’s degree in counselling to apply?
Yes, a master’s degree in a mental health field or medicine is required for certification.
2. How many hours of the 180 continuing education credits hours ( CEUs) of play therapy specific instruction are required in each area( History, Theories, Techniques, Applications, Research)?
There is no set requirement for each domain. It is expected that most workshop time will be spent learning about theories, techniques, and applications. Three hours of Play Therapy History is an accepted minimum. Play Therapy history courses can be obtained online from APT’s site and BCPTA hopes to host a Play Therapy history course in the near future. For Research, 1-3 hours is a desirable minimum.
Most workshops will spend time on most or all of the domains. BCPTA will create and post a chart on how credit hours are dispersed amongst the domains after BCPTA workshops.
3. Is there one course that I can take to satisfy the requirements for BCRPT?
There is no one course that satisfies the requirements of education, supervision, and client hours. BCPTA workshops, and other workshops from local and non-local providers awarding APT and CAPT credits can be used to fulfil the 180 CE hours of play therapy specific instruction