- Play Café: Translating the Play for Parents
April 28, 2023
9:00 am - 10:30 am
Play Cafés have traditionally been short in-person workshops for learning and networking and are one of the many BCPTA member perks. This year, we will hold a Play Café virtually to increase access for our members outside of the Lower Mainland. We hope that you can join us!
*This event is for learning enrichment and connection – No Continuing education credits are being provided*
Translating the Play for Parents
A Virtual Play Café Event!
Have you ever wondered how to explain what’s going on in the playroom to parents?
Would you like to be able to link the play to therapeutic goals so that parents see the progress and keep coming back? If the answer is yes, this Play Café is for you!
In this short workshop you will learn:
- How to set developmentally appropriate goals and get a baseline during the parent intake session.
- How to maintain client confidentiality and share progress with parents at the same time
- What the Synergetic Play Therapy® concept of the Offering/the Set up is
- How to notice what children are showing you with not only what they play with but how they play with it.
- How to link the play to the goals for parents through exploration of many clinical examples and discussion in break out rooms.
Note: while this workshop is based on Synergetic Play Therapy® principles, it is applicable to all models of Play Therapy.
Who May Benefit from this Workshop:
Anyone who is interested in learning about the basics of play therapy: Students, child therapists, family therapists, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents and families will benefit from this training. No prior play therapy knowledge is necessary.
About the Presenter:
Helen Ritchie is a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC), a BC Registered Play Therapy Supervisor (BCRPT-S), and a Certified Synergetic Play Therapy™ Supervisor/Consultant. Helen has had extensive training in Play and Sand play Therapy, Trauma-informed therapy (EMDR), Family Systems theory, The Satir Model, and Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy. Helen has had many years of work experience as an elementary school counsellor, play therapist, and counsellor and is a Supervisor of Synergetic Play Therapy, an exciting approach that combines the latest research in neuroscience, attachment, and attunement with therapeutic work. Helen also supervises students and colleagues. To learn more about Helen or to connect with her, visit https://counsellingbc.com/listings/hritchie.htm