- Presented by Lisa Dion, LPC, RPT-S
Light breakfast and snacks provided. Lunch on own. **REGISTRATION CLOSES END OF DAY JANUARY 8, 2017** ***NO REGISTRATION AT THE DOOR.***
January 20, 2017 - January 21, 2017
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
BC Play Therapy Association holds workshops throughout the year to help advance the education of Play Therapy Practitioners and related professions. These usually revolve around a specialized speaker teaching a subject of importance to the advancement of play therapy as a therapeutic practice.
Early birds ends December 31, 2016 and registration closes January 8th at midnight.
PRESENTED BY LISA DION, LPC, RPT-S
Lisa Dion is back by popular demand to share how therapists can use Synergetic Play Therapy in different applications. (Spaces limited)
Synergetic Play Therapy is the first research-informed play therapy model to blend together neuroscience, attachment/attunement, therapist authenticity, physics, emotional congruence, nervous system regulation, and mindfulness/mindsight. Although Synergetic Play Therapy is called a model of play therapy, it is actually a way of being in relationship with self and other. It is an all en-compassing paradigm and can be applied to any facet of life and subsequently any current model of therapy or “ology” can also be applied to it.
Through didactic and experiential teachings, participants will learn cutting-edge research on neural anatomy, mindfulness, attachment theory and brain development as the research is translated into practical ways of working with children and parents. Participants will also learn what it means to attach to one’s self as the cornerstone for all healing, the importance of congruent emotional expression in the play room, how to identify types of dys-regulation in the playroom, how to model regulating activities to the client, how to talk to and involve parents and ultimately how to re-pattern a child’s nervous system through the play therapy process. Three topics will be covered in this two-day workshop, from the perspective of nervous system regulation, attunement, and mindfulness.
1. PLAY THERAPY WITH PRE-TEENS AND TEENS (3 HOURS)
With their changing brains and hormones, finding ways to integrate play with pre-teens and teens can at times just feel completely “Awkward”. Do we talk? Do we play? Do I ask questions? What do I do? This 3 hour talk will shed light on how to navigate the therapy landscape with our clients who are no longer children, but also not quite yet adults!
2. Partnering with Parents in Play Therapy (3 hour)
In this thought provoking yet practical workshop, therapists will explore what it really takes to partner with parents. Come boost your confidence as we learn how to navigate the waters with our child clients’ most important relationships.
3. Sand in Play Therapy: A Synergetic Perspective (6 hour)
This workshop unravel the mystery of sand and in the play therapy room. We’ll explore the healing power of this modality in ways that will help you better facilitate your client’s process. Learn how to facilitate both non-directive (Synergetic) and directive (Gestalt) approaches. This class is highly experiential.
Please note that for the sand play you will need to bring one of the following: (this will be coordinated at a later date)
- “Synergetic” sand toys (sand pail, sand shovel, sifter, turkey baster and funnel (not silicone))
About the Presenter
Lisa Dion is an international teacher, supervisor and creator of Synergetic Play Therapy. As the executive director of the Play Therapy Institute of Colorado, she trains therapists worldwide in play therapy and business creation. Lisa Dion presented for the BCPTA in May 2016. Her presentation was a great success so we’ve brought her back!
Play Therapy with Pre-Teens and Teens:
- Understand why it is important not to have a script for when to apply non-directive and directive play therapy interventions with pre-teens and teens.
- Understand the importance of assessing the pre-teen or teen’s emotional age in the play therapy process.
- Understand the most important goal when applying play therapy to your work with pre-teens and teens.
Partnering with Parents in Play Therapy:
- Learn the elements of an effective intake session that set the stage for parental investment in the play therapy process.
- Understand how to work with a resistant parent and keep them engaged in the play therapy process.
- Learn how to translate what is happening in the play room to parents.
Sand in Play Therapy: A Synergetic Perspective:
- Understand the difference between facilitating the use of sand in play therapy through directive and non-directive processes.
- Learn how to deepen a child’s process when they engage in the sand during a session.
- Understand the connection between how a child plays with sand and their nervous system.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Play therapists, family therapists, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents and families will benefit from this training. The workshop is designed for mental health professionals who already have basic play therapy training.
Venue Website: italianculturalcentre.caAddress: