- Presented by Peter Mortola, PhD. Registration closes end of day October 16th.
October 18, 2019 - October 19, 2019
6:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Friday, Oct. 18, 6pm-9pm, Sat., Oct. 19, 9am-4:30pm Light snacks will be provided at breaks. Lunch is on your own.
Peter Mortola, Ph.D. is Professor of Counselling Psychology at Lewis and Clark’s Graduate School of Education and Counselling and the Co-Director of the Educational Specialist degree program in School Psychology. He is the author of Windowframes: Learning the art of Gestalt play therapy the Oaklander way (Routledge/Gestaltpress, 2006), the culmination of 10 years of inquiry and research on Violet Oaklander’s methods of both child therapy and adult training. Windowframes has been translated into German, Spanish and Korean language editions. He is also the co-author of BAM! Boys Advocacy and Mentoring: A leader’s guide to facilitating strength-based groups for boys (Routledge, 2008).
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP:
From the start, playfulness was at the heart of this serious business of psychotherapy. Freud’s game-like use of associations was intended to get his patients thinking laterally and not literally. Perl’s use of the “empty chair” was intended to help his clients engage in “as if” scenarios, akin to the make-believe play of children. Yet playfulness has lost ground over the years to the bullying forces of logic, language, and outcome-based measures that permeate our therapeutic field. In this article, the work of Gestalt Play Therapist Dr. Violet Oaklander is analyzed to provide a much-needed model of how play helps therapy become real for both adults and children. … read more
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Play therapists, family therapists, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents and families will benefit from this training. A basic understanding of play therapy would be be beneficial.
- To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected] no later than 2 weeks before the start of an event for a full refund less a $25.00 cancellation fee. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration within 2 weeks of the event.
- Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
- If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at email@example.com.
Venue: UBC Robson Square
The Translink web site allows you to plan your trip via transit to UBC from any Lower Mainland location.
To access the Robson Square’s underground parking travel to the corner of Howe Street and Nelson Street (Howe Street is a one-way street). Once you have entered the parking lot follow the directional signs to UBC Robson Square parking area.
- Hourly $3.75/(max $16/day)
- Monday-Friday after 6pm: $3/hour or portion to a maximum of $6 for evening maximum
- Weekends $3/hour or portion of to a maximum of $9 all day maximum
- Coins and credit cards accepted