- Presented by BCPTA board members, Vancouver, Robson Square, Registration closes end of day Jan. 23
January 26, 2019
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
BC Play Therapy Association holds workshops throughout the year to help advance the education of Play Therapy Practitioners and related professions. These usually revolve around a specialized speaker teaching a subject of importance to the advancement of play therapy as a therapeutic practice.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
This introduction to play therapy is for therapists or counselling students who would like to begin working with children using a play therapy approach or are curious about this approach.
In this workshop participants will learn:
– a brief history of play therapy
– the theory behind play therapy
– about child development from a neurobiological perspective
– about types of play children engage in
– the basic skills of play therapy and interventions
– the different approaches to play therapy
– about special considerations for schools and how to make this model work in a school setting
– about confidentiality and involving parents in the process
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
These presenters all sit on the board or a committee of the BCPTA and are volunteering their time to bring this presentation to you.
Kaela Blahey is a registered clinical counsellor (RCC), providing clinical counselling services for children, youth, and their families who have experienced sexual abuse under the guidelines of the Sexual Abuse Intervention Program (SAIP). She also has a private practice in Vancouver.
Charlotte King-Harris is a registered clinical counsellor (RCC), registered social worker, registered play therapist and certified trauma treatment specialist with a private practice in Victoria. Charlotte has been working with children, teens and families for over 15 years and loves sharing her knowledge and experience with both clients and colleagues. She will be presenting in Victoria at a later date to be announced.
Helen Ritchie is a Canadian certified counsellor (CCC), a registered play therapist, a certified Synergetic play therapist. She is an elementary school counsellor and also has a private practice in Vancouver.
Johanna Simmons is a registered clinical counsellor (RCC), a certified Synergetic play therapist, a certified Expressive play therapist and a certified parenting educator. Additionally, she is adjunct faculty at Adler University where she teaches the child development and counselling course. Johanna has been working with children in different capacities for over 25 years. She is passionate about play therapy and has seen firsthand the power of play.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Anyone who is interested in learning about the basics of play therapy: Students, child therapists, family therapists, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents and families will benefit from this training. No prior play therapy knowledge is necessary.
- To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected] no later than 2 weeks before the start of an event for a full refund less a $25.00 cancellation fee. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration within 2 weeks of the event.
- Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
- If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venue: UBC Robson Square
Theatre room at UBC Robson Square. 800 Robson St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1A7
The Translink web site allows you to plan your trip via transit to UBC from any Lower Mainland location.
To access the Robson Square’s underground parking travel to the corner of Howe Street and Nelson Street (Howe Street is a one-way street). Once you have entered the parking lot follow the directional signs to UBC Robson Square parking area.
- Hourly. $3.75.
- Mon-Fri Daily (6am-6pm) $16.00.
- Evening (6pm-6am) $6.00.
- Sat/Sun/Holidays Hourly Hourly. $3.00.
- Weekend Daily (6am-6pm) $6.00.
- Weekend Overnight till 6am. $12.00.