- Introducing Art into the Playroom
September 29, 2023
9:30 am - 11:30 am
This Play Café event will NOT include Continuing Education hours (CEs/CEUs). It is for learning enrichment and free for members of the BCPTA.
Introducing Art into the Playroom
Presented by Elspeth Robertson, MCP-AT, RCC, PROF-AT
An Online Play Café Event
A Zoom link will be emailed to you the day before the event
Friday September 29th
9:30am to 11:30am
*This presentation will NOT be recorded*
Art can be used in sessions to inspire creativity and aid in the therapeutic process. In expressive therapies, art is seen as therapeutic in and of itself, not just as a set of tools adjunctive to therapy. Art making is seen as a primary means of inquiry, more than simply a means of expression. This complements and mirrors the modality of play therapy.
However, art therapy is a distinct discipline. So how do counsellors ethically work with art while staying within scope of practice? Counsellors and play therapists working with art must have basic knowledge of the modalities they employ, as well as knowledge about how and when these modalities can be introduced and combined. Just as play therapists learn to create safety in the playroom, we also must know how to create and maintain a strong “holding space” for the art-making experience.
This talk will cover:
- What art materials and art prompts to choose (based on the expressive therapies continuum)
- Working with art as a communication tool, and how to respond to a child’s art work
- When art can be used as a coping or grounding tool
- Hands-on exercises to practice new skills
Who May Benefit from this Presentation:
Students, child therapists, family therapists, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents, and families will benefit from this training. No prior play therapy or art therapy knowledge is necessary.
About the Presenter:
Elspeth is a registered clinical counsellor and professional art therapist in private practice at Intrinsic Therapy in Vancouver, BC. She offers therapeutic support to youth and adults with anxiety, chronic stress, and burnout. She helps folks let go of perfectionism, inspire self-expansion, and uncover their inner creativity through art and play.
- If you paid for registration, then you will not be issued a refund no matter when you cancel as our cancellation fee is more than the fee to attend this workshop for non-members.
- To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected].