- Embracing the Healer in You: Diving into the Embodied Mind of the Helper in Play Therapy
October 1, 2021
9:00 am - 1:30 pm
BC Play Therapy Association holds workshops throughout the year to help advance the education of Play Therapy Practitioners and related professions. These usually revolve around a specialized speaker teaching a subject of importance to the advancement of play therapy as a therapeutic practice.
Embracing the Healer in You: Diving into the Embodied Mind of the Helper in Play Therapy
Registration for this workshop does not include the Day 2 workshop on October 2nd, 2021. If you would like to attend that workshop and are trained in EMDR then please click here to register.
(4 CEs/CEUs – open to all)
Practical strategies for self-exploration and self-care will be addressed in this deep-experiential workshop. The exercises and areas of exploration will put you in touch with your most authentic self and will support your understanding of the moment-to moment decision making in child and play therapy. This workshop will address how working with traumatized children and families can bring significant personal growth to clinicians and at the same time activate trauma responses that have the potential to bring the therapeutic process to stagnation, resulting in burnout and impact the healing process of your most vulnerable clients. We will explore how our own early attachment experiences influence us as play therapists and impact our capacity to engage in co-regulation with our young children. At the end, this experience will put you in touch with the depths of your human existence as you embrace the healer in you. Come and join us for this transformative workshop!
Clinicians will be able to:
- Identify elements of the mind of the clinician that impact therapeutic processes and outcomes in child therapy
- Utilize practical strategies for self-exploration and selfcare.
- Identify how working with traumatized children and families can bring significant personal growth to clinicians and at the same time activate trauma responses, shame and character strategies that exist in the clinician’s inner system.
- Identify how our own early attachment experiences influence clinicians in play therapy and impact our capacity to engage in co-regulation with our young children
About the Presenter:
Ana M Gomez, MC, LPC born in Colombia (South America) is a psychotherapist in private practice, author of several books, chapters and articles, and a lecturer internationally known for her innovative work with children and adolescents.
Ana Gomez is an EMDRIA approved consultant; an EMDRIA advanced training provider, an EMDR Institute and EMDR-IBA trainer and a trainer of trainers.
Furthermore, Ana has received training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Play Therapy, Sandtray Therapy, Theraplay, Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB), and the use of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI). She has worked with children, adolescents, adults and families affected by trauma and adversity for overt 25 years. Ana has presented in more than 40 cities in the USA. She has also presented in close to 30 cities in four continents: Canada (Calgary, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton, Toronto), Australia (Sydney, Melbourne), New Zealand (Auckland), Japan (Tokyo), Denmark (Copenhagen) ,Spain (Madrid, Barcelona), Italy (Milan), UK (Edinburg, London), Argentina (Buenos Aires), Chile (Santiago de Chile), Brazil (Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba) , Ecuador (Quito), Colombia (Bogota, Medellin & Manizales), Guatemala and Costa Rica.
In addition to helping children and adolescents, Ana also specializes in working with adults dealing with issues of depression, anxiety, trauma, abuse, complex PTSD, dissociation and grief issues.
On a personal level, Ana enjoys nature and loves to dance to all kinds of music, especially salsa. She also loves to spend time with her husband, her family and friends, and her beloved pets. Ana treasures moments of silence, play, and laughter as well as the connection with others. Learn more at: https://www.anagomez.org/
- To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected] no later than 2 weeks before the start of an event for a full refund less a $25.00 cancellation fee. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration within 2 weeks of the event.
- Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
- If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.