- November 24, 2023
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- November 25, 2023
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
BC Play Therapy Association holds workshops throughout the year to help advance the education of Play Therapy Practitioners and related professions. These usually revolve around a specialized speaker teaching a subject of importance to the advancement of play therapy as a therapeutic practice.
12 Non-Contact Continuing Education Hours (NON-Contact CEs/NON-Contact CEUs for APT & CAPT)
For BCPTA credentialing or renewal this training can be counted as 12 Contact CE Credit Hours.
For online participants of this hybrid workshop, a certificate of completion will be provided based on attendance and successful completion of a post-test and an evaluation component.
*This online workshop will NOT be recorded*
AutPlay® Therapy Training
Live Webinar (Hybrid Event)
Presented by Dr. Robert Jason Grant, Ed.D, LPC, RPT-S
12 NON-Contact CEs/NON-Contact CEUs for APT & CAPT
For BCPTA registration or renewal this training can be counted as 12 Contact Continuing Education Credit Hours
Two-Day Online Workshop
Friday November 24th 9am – 4:30pm
& Saturday November 25th 9am – 4:30pm
A Zoom link will be emailed to you the day before the event
This training will count towards the AutPlay certification program. Read on to find out more about the certification program.
This is an intensive 12 hr training that focuses on teaching the AutPlay Therapy framework – a diversity understanding for implementing play therapy with neurodivergent children (autistic, ADHD, sensory differences, learning differences, developmental disabilities, etc.) and their families. The AutPlay Therapy framework highlights neurodiversity affirming and informed constructs within the therapeutic powers of play and seminal play therapy theories and approaches. Emphasis is placed on understanding and addressing mental health needs for neurodivergent children and adolescents. This training provides awareness for the play therapist in working with neurodivergent children and adolescents and how to be in healthy, safe, and affirming therapeutic relationship. Participants learn how to conceptualize the neurodivergent child’s spectrum of presentation and how to assess for needs (therapy goals). AutPlay inventories and worksheets will be highlighted along with how to affirmingly include parents and children as partners in the play therapy process. Concepts will be covered and explored through experiential play interventions designed to address therapy goals.
The three general therapy phases in play therapy implementation will be covered which include intake and assessment, structured play interventions (theory and approach selection), and termination. Affirming understanding of neurodivergent play and regulation and dysregulation concepts will be covered. The AutPlay Therapy Follow Me Approach (FMA) is explained which details how to work with children with little to no engagement and attunement ability creating integrative play therapy to improve connection and relationship development. Several play therapy interventions are explained and demonstrated through session video clips. Experiential activities are presented, and case conceptualization and planning are discussed.
To find out more about the AutPlay Therapy Certification Program, click here. This document includes the process for completing the full AutPlay certification program. This includes instructions for purchasing and reading the book The AutPlay Therapy Handbook: Integrative Family Play Therapy with Neurodivergent Children by Robert Jason Grant and watching the recorded webinar – Introduction to AutPlay Therapy.
To watch the FREE 4-hour (4 Non-Contact CEs) recorded webinar – Introduction to AutPlay Therapy, click here.
- Explain neurodiversity and the neurodiversity paradigm as it relates to play therapy work.
- Conceptualize the foundational principles of being neurodiversity informed and affirming related to play therapy.
- Conceptualize integrative play therapy processes for individualizing therapy approaches.
- Describe common mental health goals for neurodivergent children addressed through play therapy.
- Identify several structured play therapy interventions to use for addressing therapy goals.
- Implement the three phases of the AutPlay Therapy framework – intake and assessment, structured intervention (play therapy theory/approach selection), and termination.
- Discuss how to affirmingly involve parents and children as partners in the play therapy process.
- Describe the AutPlay model of regulation/dysregulation.
- Identify play therapy interventions to address dysregulation needs (creating a regulation play time).
- Implement the AutPlay Follow Me Approach, designed for children with higher support needs.
- Explain common neurodivergent play presentations as manifested in play therapy work.
- Understand the diversity of complexities and concepts present when implementing play therapy with neurodivergent children.
WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM ATTENDING:
Play therapists, children’s counsellors, family therapists, family counsellors, psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, and other mental health professionals working with children, adolescents, and families will benefit from this training. A basic understanding of play therapy would be beneficial.
About the Presenter:
Dr. Robert Jason Grant is a Licensed Professional Counselor, National Certified Counselor, and Registered Play Therapist Supervisor™. Dr. Grant is the creator of AutPlay® Therapy – developed from his own Neurodivergent lived experience and over two decades of working with neurodivergent children and their families. Dr. Grant owns and operates the AutPlay Therapy Clinic located in Southwest Missouri. He is a multi-published author and international presenter. He is also a Board Member for the Association for Play Therapy.
Schedule for the Workshop:
- To cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at [email protected] no later than 2 weeks before the start of an event for a full refund less a $25.00 cancellation fee. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration within 2 weeks of the event.
- Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
Should you have any questions about this workshop, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
APT Approved Provider 95-019 – BCPTA is approved by the Association for Play Therapy to provide continuing education specific to play therapy.
CAPT Approved Provider 09-103 – BCPTA is approved by the Canadian Association for Play Therapy to provide foundation training and continuing education training specific to child and play therapy. This training cannot be used for Foundation Play Therapy Training towards Certification with CAPT as a Certified Play Therapist (CPT).